"My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." (James 1:19-20)
James 4 and 5
Verses to Consider:
- "When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures." (James 4:3)
- "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)
-"Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgement on it." (James 4:11)
- What we have on earth now will pass away for nothing on this earth is eternal. But it seems like forever we have been hearing that God is coming back to take us to live with Him in Heaven. Do not fear, "be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and now how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains." (James 5: 7) God is coming Just be ready.
- Do not make promises for tomorrow because you are not guaranteed to see tomorrow. James 5: 12 says "Above all, my brothers, do not swear- nnot by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let your 'Yes' be yes, and your 'No', no, or you will be condemned."
Verses to Consider:
- "What good is it my brothers if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?" (James 2:14)
-"But no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison." (James 3: 8)
-You can't see the difference between a good battery and a dead one. You must use it to prove that it works. Same goes for your faith. Having faith without the action useless.
-What is said can build you up or bring you down. Choose your words carefully and be careful as to who you let into your life.
-True wisdom comes from God. No earthly wisdom can surpass God's given understanding and wisdom. (James 3:17)
Verses to Consider
- Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. (James 1:2-3)
- Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. (James 1:27)
Just as you might persevere to achieve these earthly goals you must persevere through the trials you face in life to achieve your spiritual goal of a greater faith and eternal life. Ask for God’s help and He will help you. But you must also do your part and keep your faith in God. No matter what happens do not give up, ‘because he who doubts is like a wave in the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.’ (James 1:6)
3 Day James Challenge.
Wednesday: Read Chapters 1
-Read in the morning or in the evening before you go to sleep.
Thursday: Read Chapters 2 and 3
-Read Chapter 2 in the morning and Chapter 3 before you go to sleep.
Friday: Read Chapters 4 and 5
-Read Chapter 4 in the morning and Chapter 5 before you go to sleep.
These are just suggestions on how to split the reading. You may read the book of James how you please throughout the day. Also I will make post on the reading daily. Also for those of you who may feel like you do not have enough time to read, you do. Download a bible app and listen to the scripture while you drive, while you are around the house preparing dinner or even while you are at the gym.
Small words can work to destroy the lives of or brothers and sisters. We can also speak curses that damage our own lives. For example words such as 'I can't', or 'I'm not good enough can do more to us than we actually think. Speaking positive words does not only shows others what type of person we are, but also changes our perspective on life and the problems we face. How we speak influences us more than we think.
Gregory and Tre Ragland playing The Christmas Song on the saxophone and piano.
God is Listening: Click